The SharePoint integrations is to be used when the customer want to us an alternative location to store the files, other than Moment Cloud. With the integration enabled, files will be uploaded to Moment Cloud, before transferred to SharePoint. And the functionality of Files within Moment will be the same as if using Moment Cloud to store files.
Access to files can be controlled on SharePoint, there is no built in connection between Moment and SharePoint to control file access.
Filetypes that support online editing, like Office365, will have the same support as configured on SharePoint.
When the SharePoint integration is enabled, upload of files will be done in a two part process. This means a file added to Moment will be uploaded to Moment Cloud storage location, at this time the file will be available in Moment. The next step is moving the file to SharePoint, when the file has been moved, the link to the file changes to the URL the file has on SharePoint.
File metadata will always be stored in Moment Cloud, this will control what customer/project/activity/task the file is linked to and any tags linked to the file. It will also be available for search and filter in Moment.
To have files stored on SharePoint, this is defined on either customer or project. It's recommended to do this on the customer. Projects will then inherit from the customer, but projects can be changed to use Moment Cloud if so is wanted.
Project storage location
Moment Cloud do not store files in folders, as on a file system. But when using SharePoint, having all the files in one location would be less convenient and might lead to chaos. This means that with the SharePoint integration files are stored in folders. Folders are linked to the following objects in Moment:
- Customer The customer is not consider a folder in SharePoint, this is a document library. Each customer in Moment will get their own library on SharePoint. The name in Moment will be used to create the library.
- Project Each project created in Moment will get their own folder on SharePoint, the name of the folder will be the name of the project, the project number is not included. This means project names must be unique.
- Activity Each activity will also have a folder of it's own on SharePoint. Here the name consists of the activity number and activity name. Activity number is optional.
- Task Each task will also have a folder of it's own, except tasks that are recurring. The recurring tasks will use one common folder for all the files. Due to the recurring folder containing files from multiple tasks, this folder will be named differently than a regular task folder. A regular task folder name will consist of the task number prefixed with # and the task name. But since a recurring task consists of many task numbers, these folders are named just using the task name.
Using the SharePoint has some limitations on files, since SharePoint is using a Windows environment for their file storage, this means that file names must be unique within the same folder. In addition, files should also have a file extension to be possible to display it correctly.
The integration do also support the use of tags. It does require some configuration to be done on SharePoint also for this to be implemented. When used, any tag set on a file in Moment will also be seen in SharePoint. See more information about this in the content type section.
As part of the integration, there integration comes with a job that is executed once a day. This will synchronize file information between Moment and SharePoint. In the configuration there are two fields that can be selected that are used by this job. See more information on the configuration page, in the Moment section.
- Moment to SharePoint Files that have been uploaded to Moment that for some reason has not been transferred. These might be due to network issues at the time, or files that have been added using Moment API. Files that exists in Moment Cloud table, that not yet have a link to SharePoint will be attempted transferred to SharePoint and the record updated with information.
- SharePoint to Moment Files that have been added to SharePoint, without first uploading these in Moment. Also any changes done to files in SharePoint will be updated in Moment. E.g. moving a file to another folder, give a file a new name or edit tags for a file. This information will be updated in Moment.
There is also an option to synchronize a customer or project manually. Look for the
(cloud) icon. Click on this and select what direction the synchronization is to be done. Note! The option of synchronization from Moment to SharePoint will only be shown if there are files related to customer/project that has not been transferred to SharePoint.
As part of the SharePoint configuration, there is an option to include and use a content type. The content type is a predefined selection of columns that will be added to all customer libraries that are created. There is no option in the API to activate/show the columns however, so this must be done manually in SharePoint.
These columns can be used to filter files in SharePoint.
The columns defined in the content type will not appear automatically in SharePoint. These must be selected as visible for each document library (customer).
In SharePoint, click on the "Add column" option in the columns section and from the dialog that appears, click on "Show or hide columns"
In the panel that appears on the right side, select the columns you want to be visible. After having made the selection, click the "Apply" in the top left. The columns will now show in SharePoint.